Unlike many countries across the continent of Africa, South Africa has a pension or old Age grant for “seniors” or elderly citizens who turn at the age of 60 years.
It has to be noted that this is not a pension fund or benefits for government or public or even private workers but a form of grant to these citizens who meet certain minimum requirements to be considered.
Who then Qualifies To Apply for the SASSA Old Age Grant?
The South African Social Security system is such broad enough to cover most vulnerable citizens including children below the age of eighteen (18) years. In addition, people with disabilities and other underprivileged people in the country.
The agency in charge for the day to day activities or administration of this grant scheme is the South African Social Security Agency usually referred to as SASSA.
Below are the minimum requirements for for one to be considered for the grant :
- Must be a citizen of South Africa or
- Must be permanent resident of South Africa or
- A refugee residing in the country.
- Must be living in the country ( it is applicable to only people who actually reside in South Africa.
- Applicant must be receiving any other social grant at the time and after the application and approval.
- Applicant must not be cared for any government institution.
- Applicant must not be earning more than R86, 280 for single and if married R172, 560.
- The applicant must not have an asset worth more than R1, 227,600 or R 2,455,200 if married.
- Applicant must be 60 years or older at the time of the application
Applicant must take note that SASSA from time to time reviews beneficiary’s financial situation if indeed the information submitted is still valid or there are adjustments in the financial condition of the applicant.
In a case, where it is found that lied or gave wrong information the grant may be terminated or suspended until further notice.
If you think you qualify by looking at the qualifications stated above then you visit any nearest SASSA office and SASSA official will guide you to complete the application form.
To know the documents needed to apply for Old Age Pension Grant see the link below